‘The Ultimate Metallica Show’ Recap: Matt Sorum Shares Metallica Memories
On the latest Ultimate Metallica Show, we covered a lot of ground, from the incredible "Nothing Else Matters" cover by Mickey Guyton to a pummeling live performance of "Whiplash" from 2013.
But more than anything, I was beyond thrilled to have Matt Sorum—from Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver and The Cult—join us to share some Metallica memories from over the years, including what it as like for The Cult to open for them.
"I rehearsed four days and we opened up in Vancouver...25,000 people," Sorum recalled. "There I was, I had never played a venue of that size by any means. I think the biggest place I'd played was Whisky a Go Go ... In those days, the Metallica crowd was not on our side. It was 95-percent guys. Very metal ... The reason we were there is because Lars Ulrich loved the band. Lars loved The Cult, it was his favorite band at the time."
As a drummer, Sorum also mentioned his unique connection with Ulrich.
"Lars is the leader of Metallica and I'd always watch his work ethic," he said. "We would talk about things and he'd ask me, "How do you do that on the high hat," but we were more party pals than anything. We just did our own thing, but I did really respect him and I still do. We're still friends."
You can check out the full playlist, including audio clips from Sorum, below.
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 1
- "The God That Failed" — Metallica
- "Cyanide" — Death Magnetic
- "Whiplash" — Live at Bell Isle, Detroit, Michigan, June 8, 2013
- "Stone Cold Crazy" — Garage Inc.
- "Battery" — Live at Freedom Hall, Louisville, Kentucky, Apr. 28, 2004
- "Nothing Else Matters" — Cover by Mickey Guyton, The Metallica Blacklist Album
- "...And Justice For All" — ...And Justice For All
- "Cure" — Load
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 2
- "No Remorse" — Kill 'Em All
- "Moth Into Flame" — S&M2
Matt Sorum on Opening For Metallica
- "One" — ...And Justice For All
- "Some Kind of Monster" — St. Anger Live Rarities
Matt Sorum on Friendship With Lars Ulrich
- "Leper Messiah" — Master of Puppets
- "Holier Than Thou" — Cover by Corey Taylor, The Metallica Blacklist Album
- "Fade to Black" — Ride the Lightning
- "Hit the Lights" — Kill 'Em All
As always, if you have a request for the show or your own Metallica memory to share, you can hit me up in the Ultimate Metallica app anytime during the week.