Fat Tuesday Is Approaching!
Nevertheless, Mardi Gras is here. Cities like Mobile, AL (the birthplace of Mardi Gras) and New Orleans, LA, have been celebrating for weeks. Now it’s coming down to the wire and Fat Tuesday arrives this coming week. That means party it up while you can!
If you’re like some in western Louisiana, you may celebrate by chasing chickens. Apparently this is a long standing Cajun tradition where people chase chickens around in a field while drinking beer. Sounds good to me. Or, if you don’t want exercise while drinking spirits, a lively bar could suffice. If you’d like to know more about chasing chickens, click here.
As for me, I think I’ll keep my celebrations indoors. Or perhaps outside, if it involves a BBQ. A great dinner with friends is also a great place in which to showcase your finest Mardi Gras attire, as seen in the photo.
Whatever you decide to do, be safe about it, but have fun! Party stores here in the Falls will get you well stocked in Mardi Gras gear and beads, and we all know the beads are essential to such festivities. Guys, when else can you so openly ask a woman to lift her shirt for you?
Just remember these key ingredients:
- A cake with a tiny baby baked inside. A fake baby, of course. The person to find the baby hosts the party the follwing year.
- Beverages of your choice. For some this may be non-alcoholic, but for others it’s a reason to break into that bottle of rum you have stashed in the freezer.
- Beads. Lots of them. You’ll need purple, green, and gold beads.
- Tacky attire if so desired.
- Finger foods such as chips, beenie-weenies, pizza, and cookies. If you’re really feeling adventurous you may decide to make a souflee.
- Fun people.
If you’re really feeling the Mardi Gras vibe and want to plan the perfect get-together, there are a slew of sites on the Web that will guide you in the right direction. Enjoy!