North Texas Teen Bitten by Venous Snake While Playing ‘Pokemon Go’ [VIDEO]
If only those potions in the game worked in real life.
Lane Smith was wondering around a Flower Mound Park playing 'Pokemon Go' the other night. 'Pokemon Go' warns you when it starts up to be aware of your surroundings. Lane was obviously not looking where he was walking. Lane was wearing filp flops and stepped on what his friend described as a copperhead.
Lane was bitten on his big toe and Lane knew it was poisonous from a shooting pain up his leg. “It’s important to go to a full-service emergency room as soon as possible after a snake bite,” said James Doyle, MD, Medical Center of Lewisville Emergency Medical Director. “Snake bites can produce an array of symptoms, including pain and swelling, nausea, convulsions, and even paralysis. Quick treatment is essential for the best outcome.”
Thankfully only one fang broke the skin on Lane's foot and he was able to go home on Wednesday. The Medical Center of Lewisville offered these tips to 'Pokemon Go' players.
'Pokemon Go Tips'
Always go with a friend or group, never alone.
Don’t go out at night when visibility is low -– stay in well-lit, populated areas.
Be cautious in grassy or wooded areas, day or night.
Wear appropriate clothing, including closed-toe shoes.
Don’t play in streets or when driving a car.
Be aware of your surroundings. The app will buzz your phone to alert you when a Pokémon is near, so you can watch where you are walking.