More Ice, Snow Across Texoma Today
Winter weather is taking yet another shot at Texoma. Forecasters are calling for a 90 percent chance of precipitation. Rain this morning will transition to freezing rain, sleet and snow this afternoon.
City officials and TxDOT are prepped and ready to treat main roads and highways, but less-traveled roads, especially in rural areas, will likely be very hazardous later today. Travel is discouraged late today and into tonight as temperatures plummet into the low 20’s and roads become extremely icy. Forecasters are calling for sleet to transition to all snow late this afternoon and accumulations of up to 3 inches are possible in some areas.
If you must travel, be prepared:
- Make sure to have some snacks, bottled water, blankets and extra clothing in your car should you have to travel at all. Of course the best option is stay home if you can.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged and have a charger available for your car.
- Keep a flashlight handy in case of power outages. If you need extra batteries, don’t wait till the last minute to get them.
- Leave early, take your time, keep your distance and avoid hard braking.
- If you start to slide, turn your steering wheel in the direction of the slide.
- Stay tuned to your Townsquare Media radio stations and our closings and delays page for updates.
You can monitor the forecast online 24/7 at //newstalk1290.com/wichita-falls-weather/
And you can monitor TxDOT road closures and highway cameras at http://www.drivetexas.org/Full/